Date   

Pixhawk Meeting: April 28, 2020 #coordination #ref-standard #bms #uavcan

Ramon Roche
 

Team, here are the meeting minutes for today's meeting, we talked about FMUv6 & FMUv6x and dedicated the rest of the call to defining the BMS UAVCAN message set. How's your week going? 

Let me know if I missed anything.

Pixhawk V6 & V6x
David Sidrane presented the FMUv6 RC01 pinout, and the main differences between v6 & v6x, illustrating what changed. This is now a working design, and we are looking for feedback before we continue down this path.


UAVCAN Drone Communication Standard
There's lots of interest in getting a spec together for the drone industry, in particular for today's call for BMS and ESCs.

During the meeting, the team went through the proposed BMS messages BMSCmd, BMSStatus, and BMSInfo.

Please find a link to the proposal below, with inline comments from today's call. 


On the next UAVCAN call, we will continue the discussion and will try to replicate the same hands-on work style for the ESC messages.


Pixhawk Meeting: April 21, 2020 #coordination #ref-standard #payload-bus #bms #uavcan

Ramon Roche
 

Hi everyone, here are the meeting minutes for the hardware meeting from April 21st. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I missed anything. 

Happy Hacking!

Pixhawk V6 & V6x

V6 block diagram pinout almost ready will be published soon

Summary of changes

  • Consumer profile

  • Similar to V5 with H7

  • FDCAN

  • HS USBC (USB high speed)

  • Different from V5x or V6x 

  • No ethernet

  • Relative to V5x

  • Removed one telemetry port

  • Removed two SPI buses


NOTE: The V6 & V6x specs will be released at the same time.

NOTE: Looking for volunteers: We need prototype V6x hardware based on the complete final spec (available now).


BMS Standard

New UAVCAN Drone Communication Standard DS-015

  • Following on the spec

  • New suggestion BMSCmd.uavcan

  • Lots of suggestions for BMSStatus and BMSInfo


What does it take to get this spec to a complete state?

  • Get in shape to close the spec, in increments, pragmatic but stable proposal

  • ESC facing and Battery facing messages is all we need to get started

  • Get messages cleanly specified if not everything for v1


TODO: Share UAVCAN spec

We need to finalize the message spec for BMS, lay battery spec flat next week, units precision BMS doc where we hash out units, and we can port this over to DS-015 later.


Payload Standard

Hard mount version, we need to investigate the needs for a hard-mount version of this standard, we are going to be discussing potential timeline on the next meeting. (Freefly underside chassis)

Pin Definition

  • 3.3v required, boards might be 5v tolerant, but spec calls for 3.3v, the only exception is CAN
  • TODO: define nominal CAN voltage, 5v transceiver? 60v high-end, more than 20v
  • Capture pin: 3.3v
  • Ethernet with magnetics on both sides
  • DBUS USB, the spec on MAX?
TODO: Capture pinout on the spec document

TODO: Update on the X-Connector, ping Yuneec.
TODO: Look into hard mount pattern


Pixhawk Meeting - March 31, 2020 #coordination #ref-standard #payload-bus #bms

Ramon Roche
 

Pixhawk Standard

@David: highlights the need for detailed  version control on the spec.

Feature Request

  • Up to the pin level change history

  • Consensus

  • Sortable By functionality and type

  • Versioning


Default Sensors

ICM4XXX 4-series on paper looks better, lower temp

  • @TODO: Ray: follow-up feedback from ModalAI

Payload

How to make this complete

  • Datasheet with all of the specs

  • Defined the mechanical and electrical properties

  • Description of what pins are and how they are used

  • Typical test arrangements for those pins

  • Part number breakdown glossary

  • Description of how to use this reference


How to name connectors

  • How to differentiate between

  • The documentation doesn’t specify 

  • Group agrees tying it to a physical feature would be the best way to go


Options

By number of pins (# Pins)

PX-PB-40

PX-PB-35


R/D

PP-40D

PP-40R


Power and Watts

PP-PB XW

PP-PB XW


Options

  • # Pins

  • R/D

  • Power and Watts



Payload DevKit 

Group agrees a DevKit with a breakout board would be really useful


  • Yuneec will make one available

  • Minimal working kit for the connector

  • Hoping to release it in May


@TODO: Yuneec needs a prototype of the dovetail.


Discussion regarding connector which one should be in the vehicle vs camera (female / male)


@TODO: is it too late to swapp Yuneec.

@TODO: Document data sheets of pins, from a protocol use standpoint, max min voltage, gpps as output/input, ppm compatible

@TODO: Who is going to be a provider of DoveTail design Dev Kits?

Smart Battery


Ark Electronics BMS Prototype by Alex K.

  • Shared photos of the 1st prototype already working

  • Gettings quotes for prices

    • BOM ~$100 USD


@TODO: add state diagram to main doc and link


How to make this complete

  • Datasheet with all of the specs

  • Defined the mechanical and electrical properties

  • Description of what pins are and how they are used

  • Typical test arrangements for those pins


@TODO: Question; Part numbering? Voltage related standard


Starting with a single mechanical interface

Battery info, Capacity, Number of cells

Uavcan v0 capacity is available

Public data types should be part of the standard


@TODO: Alex, what are all the things we want to get out of the battery for UAVCAN v1.0


Iain G. @ NXP 

Proposes UMP connector by TE Connectivity

  • Data sheet PDF

  • Next version of the board is available now with published schematics


Pixhawk Meeting - March 24, 2020 #payload-bus #bms #coordination #ref-standard

Ramon Roche
 

Pixhawk Discussion


FMUv6X

  • @TODO: Dugan/David do a review of the docs and submit to the mailing list for final review.

  • @TODO: Follow-up from above, ask for feedback from workgroup members.


Recommended default sensors


Payload Discussion


Connector Part numbers

The 40-pin connector is automotive grade, low-cost, vibration resilient and allows very high density assemblies.



Yuneec Building Dev Kits

  • Can provide dev kit for early adopters


Payload trigger

  • Normal trigger mechanism is to use 2 pwm aux pins

  • Function list as a trigger and capture

  • Question: What signals are here?

    • Publish map information for backwards compatibility

  • “Expected standard use cases” →

Smart Battery

Spec presentation

  • Tightly integrated package where the batteries don’t have to boot each individual battery up

  • No need to have a pixhawk to booth a battery

  • Pin 1 is ID

    • Up to 8 different batteries

    • You always know which slot battery is connected to

  • Pin 2 wake up signal to battery

    • One button turns on all batteries on aircraft

  • All batteries need a button to wake-up

  • Battery state diagram

  • Hot swapping / Hot plugging 

    • Buffer with resistance?

  • @TODO: Need to handle the case were the battery shuts off and the FMU CPU resets and turns the battery back on (FET on pin 2) (edited) 

@TODO: add state diagram to main doc and link


Pixhawk Meeting - March 10-17, 2020 #coordination #ref-standard #payload-bus #bms

Ramon Roche
 

Team, please review the meeting minutes for the previous two minutes, we are making good progress on all fronts, please feel free to ping me if anything is unclear, or misrepresented below.

I am looking forward to our next meeting next week.

Feel free to forward this email to any co-worker/partner and invite them to subscribe to our mailing list. https://lists.dronecode.org/g/pixhawk/

Pixhawk Discussion

FMUv6 Spec

Changes to the spec discussed on the call

  • A key differentiator from v6X is the addition of features considered non-essential for commercial adopters, but necessary for educational / developer adopters.

  • Pinout will include high-speed USB

  • TODO: Pinout proposal by @David and @Lorenz until April 21st

FMUv6X Spec

We are executing faster on this spec, and we want to improve from the v5x timeline and align with the development of future products.

Timeline

  • FMUv5X

    • Set a timeframe for two weeks, for final signoff

  • FMUv6

    • Next stable proposal in 5 weeks.

Pixhawk Smart Battery

Connector

Proposed connectors:

 

Interface and Pinout

  • Freefly introduced an interface design with a connector pinout and a schematic related to the connector interface. See the image below. 

  • TODO: @Community to review this design and prepare feedback for the next call. In particular, @Iain, @Alex, and @Jacob.



  • DJI Compatibility
    • The group agrees that the connector is not compatible with the DJI battery system
  • The ID pin enables designs that have a button on the battery or the vehicle to power on the system. In case of a multi-battery vehicle, the power-on has to be managed and properly sequenced

    • TODO: @Alex and @Raul to prepare a sequence diagram for the scenario that the button is either on the battery or the vehicle side


Resources

Pixhawk Payload

  • Review Yuneec connector on Onshape

  • Changes from the original proposal

    • VCC pins only (not as much current, smaller payloads)

  • TODO: Review mechanical, coming up to final position individually

  • TODO: See if the strategy reaches consensus

Plan of Action

Connectors

The connector of choice is, in both cases, the KEL DY series. We have to specify the exact part number to make sure the community can order it.

 

  • TODO: @Raul R Specify connector part number for Dovetail design
  • TODO: @Alessandro Specify connector part number for X-Connector design

Designs

X-connector by Yuneec

https://wikifactory.cn/@alessandro-simovic/yuneec-x-connector/files

Dovetail connector by Freefly

https://wikifactory.cn/+pixhawk/pixhawk-payload-bus/file/QR%20Dovetail%20Receiver%20Standalone.STEP

Standardization Release Process

  • We are publishing the 3D files and accompanying documentation, and sharing with the community as part of the Pixhawk project.

  • The standardization will benefit if the plans are available to purchase as a standalone component. This way, adopters could integrate a payload without manufacturing the mechanical parts themselves or do an initial prototype based on available parts.

  • TODO: Clarify licensing on the next call


Re: Pixhawk Meeting - March 3rd, 2020 #coordination

Ramon Roche
 

Quick follow-ups from last week's todos. Mostly a reminder to review the material before the next call.


Let me know if there's anything you would like to see on the agenda for the next call. 

-- Ramón


Re: Pixhawk Meeting - March 3rd, 2020 #coordination

Jinger Zeng
 

Hi,

CUAV provided some input regarding pin-outs and electrical design,  capturing in this thread: https://discuss.px4.io/t/rfc-fmuv6x/15548/2

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM Ramon Roche <rroche@...> wrote:
Team, thanks to everyone who attended today, we had a healthy discussion regarding the payload interface and FMuv6X, please make sure you take time to review the specs linked below and bring feedback ready for the next meeting.

I hope to talk to you all next week, happy flying.
- Ramón R.

Meeting Minutes
FMUv6X
  • The team discussed current capabilities of the spec
  • The most significant change from v5x is the move to H7
Open Questions: For the whole group, in particular manufacturers
  • Are the current interfaces outlined enough?
 
PX4 Hardware support categories
Feedback needed from the group on the proposed board categories and what it means to the manufacturers. Please let us know if anything feels out of place.
 
Pixhawk Payload
Yuneec presented a payload interface that they are looking to release in some of their products in 2020. Yuneec is currently reviewing the dovetail proposal from FreeFly. TODO: Yuneec will share their interface with the team ahead of next week’s call for in-depth review.

Resources
 


Pixhawk Meeting - March 3rd, 2020 #coordination

Ramon Roche
 

Team, thanks to everyone who attended today, we had a healthy discussion regarding the payload interface and FMuv6X, please make sure you take time to review the specs linked below and bring feedback ready for the next meeting.

I hope to talk to you all next week, happy flying.
- Ramón R.

Meeting Minutes
FMUv6X
  • The team discussed current capabilities of the spec
  • The most significant change from v5x is the move to H7
Open Questions: For the whole group, in particular manufacturers
  • Are the current interfaces outlined enough?
 
PX4 Hardware support categories
Feedback needed from the group on the proposed board categories and what it means to the manufacturers. Please let us know if anything feels out of place.
 
Pixhawk Payload
Yuneec presented a payload interface that they are looking to release in some of their products in 2020. Yuneec is currently reviewing the dovetail proposal from FreeFly. TODO: Yuneec will share their interface with the team ahead of next week’s call for in-depth review.

Resources
 

1 - 8 of 8