Topics

Airspace management communication channels?

Travis Woodrow

Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could find some information about the current status on the airspace management working group, but can't seem to find anything. No posts on Dronecode TSC's discourse. Are they using it?

Are they only using this list currently?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Richard Parker

Hi Travis

Contributions are welcome. Personally, from our side, we've been heavily focused on our nex release which is due to be announced at the end of the month and will benefit the group - this is why we've not been able to put as much time into keeping the wiki updated.

If you want to setup a chat, let me know and I'll schedule some time to walk you through the current state and loop you in.

Thanks,

Richard Parker
CEO, Altitude Angel

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM -0800, "Travis Woodrow" <travis.woodrow@...> wrote:

Hey everyone,

I was hoping I could find some information about the current status on the airspace management working group, but can't seem to find anything. No posts on Dronecode TSC's discourse. Are they using it?

Are they only using this list currently?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Altitude Angel is a Limited Company registered in England & Wales under registration number 09350032. Registered Office office: Soane Point, 6 – 8 Market Square, Reading, RG1 2EG. United Kingdom.

Brandon Basso

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link to the working group.  I'm wondering what the best mechanism is for what the working group has discussed thus far (Documentation section here?).  It would be great for people to be able to 1) discover the group and 2) hop in as they are able. Maybe a running Discourse thread with meeting minutes would solve?  As it stands it's a bit hard to find the working group (not very Googleable)

I'm also wondering what work the group has done to evaluate existing initiatives and products.  Ones that come to mind are LATAS, Airmap (what runs on Solo), and Skyward.

-Brandon

 ◤Brandon Basso

VP Software Engineering
3D Robotics

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Richard Parker <richard@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Brandon - the working group welcomes input from other members and the wider community in support of the mandate... If you're aware of any open standards/specs that specifically support this, or would be a good starting point, please share on the wiki - that'd be really helpful.
I can't speak for either the AirMap or Skyward products, but we are about to release our own open API for the exchange of this data and we hope the group finds it a useful starting point. Anyone can adopt/comment.
Have a great day!
_____________________________

[...]

Craig Elder

You are very welcome.

On 25 February 2016 at 19:42, Travis Woodrow <travis.woodrow@...> wrote:

Thank you, Craig!

On Feb 26, 2016 1:28 AM, "Craig Elder" <celder@...> wrote:
Travis

I have also sent a message directly to Richard to let him know you are interested.

Craig

--
Craig J. Elder
Dronecode Community Technical Manager

skype Navigator2386
email  celder@...

--
Craig J. Elder
Dronecode Community Technical Manager

voice +1 (619) 534-8570
skype Navigator2386
email  celder@...

Travis Woodrow

Thanks Richard! I would love to chat, so I will contact you separately.

It appears that this group is oriented primarily with services that would consumed by products with humans in the loop. Would you say that's true? I was expecting something more similar, or perhaps directly involved with, NASA's UTM.

Travis

On Feb 26, 2016 1:46 AM, "Richard Parker" <richard@...> wrote:
[...]

That's the current focus but the second part of the mandate has much more to do with BVLOS/automation.

Once we have a good foundation for access to the requisite data we can turn our attention to how we implement those systems to deliver automated capabilities.

Richard

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM -0800, "Travis Woodrow" <travis.woodrow@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Anderson

Given that Airmap seems to becoming the defacto standard here, I think they should be an active part of this. Also, I think GoogleX might want to be involved in this.

-Chris

On Feb 25, 2016 3:05 PM, "Brandon Basso" <brandon@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Chris,

Ben from AirMap reached out to me. Is someone at GoogleX on this list? Do you have someone you could cc?

Travis

On Feb 29, 2016 2:30 PM, "Chris Anderson" <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

AirMap are part of this working group, too - their input towards creating an open specification is absolutely welcome.

We've got a good starting point with questions that need answering on the wiki (probably a fairly quick win for anyone with any existing API) but equally any existing reference APIs are welcome to be added into the mix for for review for potential incorporation.

Looking forward to seeing AirMap's contributions!

Richard Parker